Disabilities Fife Logo

Disabilities Fife Logo

This link will take you to the Aspirations page

Link to our Home PageThis image link will take to to History of FIDN pageThis image link will take you to our Contact Us page
This link arrow will take you back to the Miscellaneous Home Page

What you can do about Anti-Social Behaviour

updated 26/11/2012

Is Someone Bothering You?

Cartoon Picture of an angry person

What you can do about
Anti-Social Behaviour

A guide for all Fife residents

Fife Community Safety Partnership Logo Fife Council Logo

Safe For Everyone
Cartoon Picture of a person contemplating
Fife Council wants to make Fife safer for everyone.  We are working with the Police and other members of the Fife Community Safety Partnership to make sure this happens.

Everybody has the right to live safely and peacefully without worrying about being bothered or harassed.

If someone else's behaviour is causing you problems, the Council and the Police want to help.

The Government has recently given councils new powers to tackle anti-social behaviour, using new Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs).

This leaflet explains what ASBOs are and what you should do if you're experiencing nuisance or disturbance - whether you're a council tenant, a private  tenant or a homeowner.

'What Is Anti-social Behaviour?'

People can cause nuisance, annoyance or distress to their neighbours in many ways:

  • By making too much noise
  • By assaulting or verbally abusing them
  • By racially harassing them
  • By damaging their property
  • By selling drugs

If you are experiencing any of these problems - let us know!

'What Is An Anti-social Behaviour Order?'

The Council can now apply to take out an Anti­Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) against anyone over 16 who is responsible for serious or persistent anti-social behaviour.
An ASBO will restrain named individuals from behaving in an anti-social way or from engaging in anti-social conduct, including speech, which is likely to cause alarm or distress to people who are not living in the same household.
Anyone who breaks the conditions set out in an ASBO will be liable to criminal prosecution - and possible imprisonment.
The Council will apply for an ASBO if we think this is the best way of protecting people from serious or persistent anti-social behaviour. But we shall only do so where other solutions have been tried and have failed.

'What Can I Do If I Have A Problem?'

Cartoon Picture of a person shoutingIf possible, you should try to sort out the problem in a friendly way. It may be that the person causing the nuisance isn't even aware of it.

If this doesn't work, or if you don't feel comfortable about talking to your neighbour, then contact your Local Council Office for advice.

Before you visit your Local Council Office, it would be helpful for you to write down what has happened. Give them as much detail as you can about the problem, including dates and times. They will advise on the next stages, which may include reporting repeat incidents to the Police or Environmental Health, issuing warnings and mediation, or where that fails gathering the evidence necessary for the Council to apply for an ASBO.

If you are a Fife Council tenant, with your help, we will investigate the problem for you. If you're a private tenant or a housing association tenant you should get in touch with your landlord to see how they can help.

'What is Mediation?'

Mediation is a way of dealing with disputes that helps those involved reach an agreement that everyone can live with. This keeps problems from getting out of hand.
This is often the best way forward, as you and your neighbour can continue living next to each other without bad feeling.
Mediators are independent and neutral people who will listen to both sides and help you find common ground.
Fife Community Mediation is an independent service that can help you to work out a solution to your problems. For free and confidential advice and assistance phone (01592) 597063.

Cartoon Picture of 2 people shaking hands


'How Does The Council Apply For An ASBO?'

If the Council decides to apply for an ASBO, it will need to go to court to get an Order, and prove the nuisance to the sheriff.

The conduct complained of must generally have occurred on at least two occasions after 1st April 1999, and evidence including independent witnesses will be needed for both these events.

'How Can I Find Out More?'

If you would like any further information about what to do if you are experiencing nuisance or harassment, please contact your nearest Local Council Office.  Council staff will discuss your problem with you and advise you what to do next.

Or you could also phone

Fife Council`s Housing Investigation Team on 01592 414014
Fife Council LogoFife Community Safety Partnership Logo 

The above information was taken from a Fife Council leaflet on
Anti-Social Behaviour

For FIDN 25/11/2009

Crimestoppers website www.crimestoppers-uk.org/

Call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

Citizens Advice service www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/housing_e/housing_problems_where_you_live_e/anti_social_behaviour_in_housing.htm


Telephone: 03451 400 095 (general advice) or 03451 400 094 (debt advice)

Website http://carfweb.org

Fife Council

Reporting Antisocial Behaviour Tel: 03451 550022

To Top of page  
This link arrow will take you back to the Miscellaneous Home Page  

Disabilities Fife
West Bridge Mill, Bridge Street,
Kirkcaldy, Fife, KY1 1TE
Scottish Charity No: SC 026112